In the sixth episode of Marketing To Go Kenda Macdonald is my guest. She is the author of the book Hack the Buyer Brain and founder of Automation Ninjas which help small and large companies all over the world with behavioural marketing automation.
Amongst the things we talk about are:
- easy ways of getting started with automation
- why social media are not quite what they appear to be
- what email can do that social media cannot
- how email and social media can complement each other
- why a freebie needs to be small and simple – both for you and your potential customer
- advantages of being a small company – and how to make the best use of these in your newsletter
- Kenda’s writing process, and how she found time to write her book
- tips on the best way of recording your audio book – and why you should do it yourself
- future of digital marketing
Email marketing is a powerful tool
In her own words, Kenda is obsessed with email marketing. She sees it as a powerful tool – with a tradition going back further than we are given to realise. An email is actually very similar to a letter, something we have been using for centuries – and not that much different from newspaper articles, take for instance the leader column and the personal column. However, many companies do not make full use of email’s attributes – there is too much sales talk, too little attention on the readers, and communication tends to be too impersonal.
Make it personal
In fact, communication should be personal and target-specific. Kenda foresees that mainstream newsletters will die out whereas personal newsletters can look forward to a bright future.
Advantages are out there for your little company. Guess what they are! Or just listen to it here.